On occasion, I’ll venture up to Fort Lauderdale to visit a few, select restaurants. Blue Moon Fish Company is one of them. Their seafood is so simple, delicate, and fresh that the hour drive is an afterthought. Thursday night’s meal was no exception. Located directly on the inter coastal, Blue Moon, albeit always packed, somehow manages to stay low-key and quiet.
To start, they serve thick slices of sourdough and tomato focaccia with a halved, roasted garlic clove to squeeze onto the bread and spread like sweet, pungent butter. For apps, I had a baby spinach and pecan goat cheese salad with caramelized onions and a walnut herb vinaigrette. The tangy caramelized onions were a great contrast with the lightly dressed greens, slightly wilted under the warm goat cheese. The ahi tuna tartare with avocado cream was super fresh, although it could have benefited from some salt and/or citrus. My truffle oil diver scallops were seared and cooked to perfection. Five giant, meaty scallops sat atop braised napa cabbage, applewood smoked bacon, apples, fennel, and fingerling potatoes. Ridiculous combination. I expected some varying crunchy, salty, sweet, crisp textures, however the ingredients had a softer, braised tasted.
The macadamia nut-crusted Chilean sea bass is one of my favorite dishes at Blue Moon. The sea bass was flaky and not-overdone, a rarity with sea bass. I sound like a seafood cheerleader, but this place is always spot-on. I only had room for a few bites, but my date loved the fresh vanilla bean and coconut rum creme brûlée, served with banana ice cream.
I forgot to order oysters, which are on my hit list next time, along with the mussels with pancetta, rosemary, white wine, lemon & butter. Head up to Ft Lauderdale and check out Blue Moon Fish Company. The menu is a little pricey, so here’s a chance to win $100 Blue Moon Fish Company gift certificate:
- Comment on the post and include the phrase “AssaultNPepper Blue Moon Fish Co reader giveaway”
- Like Assaultnpepper on Facebook
- Follow Assaultnpepper on Twitter
- Like Blue Moon Fish Co on Facebook and post on the wall including the phrase ”AssaultNPepper Blue Moon Fish Co reader giveaway”
- Follow Blue Moon Fish Co on Twitter and tweet including ”@_AssaultNPepper @bluemoonfishco reader giveaway”
- WINNERS WILL BE SELECTED USING RANDOM.ORG AND WILL BE ANNOUNCED MONDAY SEPTEMBER 3RD AT 12PM EST