- 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cup flour
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp Meyer lemon zest
Key lime Curd
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 4 extra-large eggs at room temperature
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
- 2/3 cup flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Prepare the crust: Cream butter and sugar until light in color in a electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the lemon zest and mix. Combine the flour and salt. Turn the mixer to low and gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix until just combined, do not over mix. Place dough onto a well floured surface and shape into a ball. With floured hands, press the dough into a 9×13 pan. Chill the dough for about 15 to 20 mins.
- Bake the crust for about 15 to 20 mins, until the crust is just slightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- Make the filling: zest the lemons and combine with the sugar using your fingertips, until the sugar becomes slightly clumpy and fragrant. Whisk the sugar mixture with the eggs, lemon juice and flour until smooth and shiny.
- Pour the curd over the cooled crust and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the filling is set. Cool to room temperature before sifting the powdered sugar on top. Cut into squares and serve.